Saturday, August 29, 2009

Attended NFJS today.
Enjoyed Venkat's talk on Scala.


After looking at Scala and Groovy.
I'm convinced on Scala. I built a toy web server and WAR loaded in a matter of weeks.

Groovy on the other hand. eh. Not convinced yet. Looks like a good place for testing. But as a serious development tool. Not convinced. Its major strength is that is does compile to Java byte code. Not that Scala doesn't. Just that Groovy is even less verbose and still compiles to byte code.

Other talks so far that I've enjoyed. Ted on collections. I've as convinced as ever that 90% of Java developers are not using collections and arrays properly. Now I'm even more so.

Ken on Spring 3.0 was good too.
Spring MVC is promising. The Wicket approach to meddling with the HTML as little as possible is still a better approach. But I like the Spring MVC URL mapping better. And frankly, I think using JSPs as the front end is still not a bad solution. Beats JSF any day.

Now if Spring would ease up on the annotations... But that a whole nother discussion.

Ready for day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment